- Rapid site modeling and analysis
- Earthwork optimization and quantification
- Drainage and underground utility design
- Automated project deliverables
Learn more about what OpenSite Designer can do for you…
What is OpenSite Designer?
OpenSite Designer helps you set your business apart from the competition by quickly delivering optimized designs to meet your client’s needs. This built-for-purpose site and land development application enables you to jumpstart projects quickly using a wide variety of tools. Tools include rapid site modeling and analysis, earthwork optimization and quantification, drainage and underground utility design, automated project deliverables, and financial forecasting.
OpenSite Designer helps you connect data, people, workflows, and ideas needed to deliver land development projects and support BIM workflows. You can combine 3D project data from any source to have improved project understanding, make better engineering decisions, and reduce risk by minimizing errors before construction.
- Design in context
Understand existing conditions, accelerate modeling workflows, and make better design decisions by easily integrating point clouds, reality meshes, photogrammetry, total station surveys, and terrain into design and construction models.
- Conceptualize designs quickly
Create and optimize multiple design scenarios in days, not weeks, for commercial, industrial, residential, and campus projects. Using auto-drawing capabilities and dynamic 3D modeling, conceptualize and detail building pads, parking lots, sidewalks, streets, and other design features.
- Ensure design intent
Model with design intent using technology that captures, stores, and maintains how each design element is created. Build design associations and relationships between elements, ensuring that the design always reflects engineering intent. Design intent accelerates design production and ensures standards, and allows you to create designs in minutes, not hours or days.
- Analyze feasibility of parcel layout and grading
Use automated parcel layout and grading tools to identify project risks associated with earthworks, zoning, and client requirements.
- Model, analyze, and design, complete stormwater and sanitary sewer networks
Design and analyze stormwater and sanitary networks that are fully integrated with your site design project. Manipulate networks in plan or profile views, displaying the drainage model and other utilities.
- Optimize earthwork and site layout
Investigate site layout options quickly with parametric drawing capabilities of parking lots, buildings, drives, and walkways. Design changes are easy due to dynamic interaction of elements. Next, optimize earthwork using a grading solver that runs thousands of iterations based on designer-defined constraints to find the best cost of construction. Evaluate results and respond to project stakeholder feedback quickly.
- Perform design-time analysis
Provide visibility into project performance with design-time analytics for drainage, terrain, grading, site visibility, safety, and more to achieve optimal project outcomes.
- Improve project deliverables
Ensure high-quality design deliverables with automated production of drawings using design constraints, design-time visualization, dynamic annotation, and automated plan production based on the live model. As the design changes, the multidiscipline documentation sets are automatically updated.
- Support BIM workflows
Ensure data-rich BIM deliverables to help advance BIM workflows in a digital twin authoring environment while also creating all traditional and digital design deliverables.
How much does OpenSite Designer cost?
A practitioner license of OpenSite Designer costs $2,213 USD at Virtuosity.com. Prices vary per region. To see the price in your region, select your region at the bottom of the page. While there are various types of licensing available, a common choice is the 12-month practitioner license offered through Virtuosity, Bentley's eCommerce store. When you purchase through Virtuosity you get a Virtuoso Subscription. This means you get the software and "Keys" (tokens) to redeem for customizable training, mentoring, and consulting services.
See more FAQs about OpenSite Designer below.
Expert services and tailored training, when and where you need it.
At Virtuosity, we understand how important it is to get the most out of every working moment. You need to limit downtime, and use each software application to its fullest potential. There is just no time to spare. That's why every software purchase through Virtuosity comes as a bundle with “Keys” or credits that can be redeemed for expert services and training, so you can get started right away. Learn more about our training options.We call this bundle the Virtuoso Subscription.
Each practitioner license comes with a number of "Keys" and you can always purchase additional "Keys" as you go.
There is a menu of expert services and training options that you can redeem your "Keys" for:
|Quick start training
Virtual classroom training is a great way to quick-start your success.
|1 key||2 hours|
|Recorded online sessions
OnDemand sessions can be very helpful and convenient. They include information on the latest software, workflows, and systems.
|1 key||2 hours|
Standard training offers a thorough understanding of general features, workflows and tools of the application.
|1 key||4 hours|
With tailored training you can set your own agenda for training and get something to suit your specific requirements.
|1 key||2 hours|
If you have a challenging or unique project, you may choose to expand your team with one of our experts.
|1 key||2 hours|
Get one-on-one mentoring from a product expert. Choose from a variety of topics including design, analysis, and modeling techniques.
|1 key||2 hours|
Integrated CAD Capabilities
- Integrate data with MicroStation, ProjectWise, OpenBuildings, OpenFlows, LumenRT, and other Bentley applications
- Support for managed workspaces
- Works across references files
- Include other engineering data (e.g. drainage) as referencing it to the DGN model
- Utilize an unlimited number of federated reference files
- Create and edit CAD elements
- Read and write to DGN and DWG files
- Supports design history
- Apply digital signatures using industry-standard encryption
- Secure digital rights definition for reviewing, printing, and editing
- Supports multiple raster formats
- Supports PostScript and HPGL2/RTL printing
- Use AccuDraw and AccuSnap navigation tools
- Track annotation
- Read/write standard data formats for:
- 2D/3D CAD graphics
- ASCII/text data
- LiDAR data: ASCII and LAS
- USGS digital elevation models
- Photogrammetric data
- Raster files
- Contour maps
- Import and analyze point-cloud data
- Merge surfaces automatically
- Update surface data dynamically
- Create intelligent, data-rich and lightweight terrain models
- No need for secondary terrain analysis to represent the terrain display. Includes context sensitive re-symbolization for triangles, contours, linear features, slope vectors, color code for slopes, elevation banding, and aspect
- Create terrain models from a variety of import sources
- Reality models
- 3D graphical data automatically using graphical filters
- ASCII/text data
- Legacy data formats of InRoads, GEOPAK, and MX
- Point clouds
- LiDAR data: ASCII and LAS
- USGS digital elevation model data
- Aerial data
- Raster files
- Ensure live, federated, and intelligent terrain models when stored as a DGN element
- Maintain terrain models through the preservation of relationships to source data
- Ensure correct entry with undo/redo capabilities
- Standardize displays via element templates
- Use across multiple disciplines via reference files in an open modeling environment
- Re-symbolization of display across multiple disciplines using an open modeling environment
- Control maximum length of triangles
- Control boundary conditions
- Create complex and clipped terrain models
- Interrogate the intelligent data-rich 3D models
- Support for different feature types including but not limited to boundaries, holes, voids, breaklines, inferred breaklines, and random points
- Model intelligent 3D real-world civil features (ditches, curbs, trees, and culverts)
- Context-sensitive intelligent editing of features
- Dynamic editing for
- Extend, trim, and intersect features
- Insert, move, and delete vertices
- Delete, partially delete, break, or join features
- Manage large LiDAR datasets
- Exclude non-DTM features from triangulation
- Control density of points on linear features for optimal surface presentation
- Display cut and fill delineation
- View and edit feature properties
- Contour smoothing
- Major, minor, and depression contours
- Automatic and manual contour labeling
- Model multiple design scenarios
- Edit designs dynamically
- Automatic model updates driven by design intent
- Design time visualization with automatic material assignments
- Undo/redo capabilities
- Interactively interrogate federated 3D models with dynamic cross sections
- Manage 2D/3D models and display representation
- Use enhanced clipping and point controls
- Integrate and utilize CAD graphical elements in the model
- Create model reports dynamically
- Generate plan ready cross sections
- Adheres to regional design standards
Dynamic Geometric Design
- Interactive geometry capabilities
- Enhanced integration with AccuDraw and AccuSnap through CivilAccudraw
- Multiple vertical geometries supported per alignment
- Design time standards input and feedback with errors and warnings in Civil Message Center
- Store rules and relationships between geometric elements
- Create horizontal/vertical by PI method or by elements
- Offset capabilities to easily create complex yard layouts
- Create circular and parabolic vertical curves
- Create arc and chord horizontal curves
- Support tangential and non-tangential curves
- Edit elements associatively and dynamically
- Define curves by radius, degree of curvature, and pass-through points
- Edit, delete, and join elements
- Support delta angles greater than 180°
- Annotate alignments and points with object attribution, geometric properties, stationing, dynamically and automatically
- Additional annotation capabilities for one-off object labeling
- Review and report geometry in a variety of customizable formats
- Perform design checks dynamically or in batch processes
- Display 3D geometry
- Support for surface and linear templates
- Include components, end conditions, and features
- Create components for real-world objects such as lanes, curbs, walls, ditches, and barriers
- Define parametric components graphically
- Apply constraints to components
- Place component points as free, partially constrained, or fully constrained
- Set constraints as horizontal, vertical, sloped, projected, vectors, offsets, and elevations
- Constrain end conditions partially or fully
- Set end conditions to trace existing surfaces such as rock
- Drag-and-drop assembly of templates from components and end conditions
- Perform graphical tests to verify design
Site Layout Modeling
- Create custom parametric parking lots
- Modify parking limits by simple line and point manipulation
- Modify parking limits to remove parking spaces
- User controlled design standards
- Revise parking orientation with customized direction path
- Control size requirements for parking spaces, islands, bays, and aisles
- Parametric revision of island locations and quantities
- Integrate building(s) from OpenBuildings and other building design software
- Parametric interaction between parking and building for optimal site configuration
Intel Pentium-based or AMD Athlon-based processor 2.0 GHz or greater.
Microsoft Windows 10, Windows10 x64, Windows 8, Windows 8 x 64, Windows 7, Windows 7 x64, Note: Windows 7 operating system is supported only with its service pack (SPI) installed.
8 GB minimum, 16 GB recommended, (more memory typically results in better performance)
9 GB minimum free disk space (which includes the 5.6 GB install footprint for a complete installation)
Video Graphics Card
Mouse or digitizing tablet (Digitizing tablet requires vendor-supplied WINTAB driver or Bentley’s Digitizer Tablet Interface, the latter included with OpenRoads Designer installation.)
Do I need a 3rd party visualization software to create animations or real-time renderings?
No, OpenSite Designer is a 3D modeling application that helps you experience designs in real time and enables you to move through the 3D site model and visually inspect the design for any deficiencies or physical conflicts. You can fully view site features in 3D QA to check grading issues, utility conflicts, and site performance. The software fully integrates with Bentley LumenRT to create models and high-impact visuals and animations to easily communicate the design to stakeholders and clients for project approval.
Can I create both a conceptual design and detailed design with OpenSite Designer?
Yes, OpenSite Designer provides 3D modeling features that let you create conceptual to preliminary to detailed design in one application. The site layout tools are based on civil engineering principles and standards to ensure project feasibility. The software is an all-in-one solution and handles tasks such as parking lot layout, building interaction, earthwork grading, general site design, ponds, sanitary and stormwater network design, subsurface utilities, construction documentation creation, and construction staking reports to ensure you have the tools needed for all design needs.
Does OpenSite Designer produce both 3D models and 2D PDF or paper drawings to support project deliverables?
You can produce a complete array of 2D and 3D design deliverables with automated drawing production tools to produce high-quality documentation. Since all deliverables adhere to project standards and are created from the same model, you can be confident of your deliverables. OpenSite Designer provides design, volume, and analysis in industry-standard formats for data exchange and reporting. The application also outputs standard formats for Trimble, Topcon, and Leica for machine-controlled grading and machine guidance.
Can I integrate data from other projects into my site design?
OpenSite Designer provides an open modeling environment allowing you to easily integrate data from different disciplines to improve collaboration and ensure all users are working from the latest model in all phases of the design. Working in the live model using the data interactively reduces risk, and working with site, rail, road, bridge, drainage, subsurface utilities, geotechnical, and other design teams helps identify conflicts earlier in the process and eliminate construction errors and delays.
Does OpenSite Designer support residential design?
Yes, OpenSite Designer is a built-for-purpose site design application and provides 3D modeling for site designers to elevate single-family residential design and layout to ensure an integrated multidiscipline workflow and increased return on investment. The software’s auto parcel creation technology helps designers create detailed designs while identifying project risk points.
Get more information about OpenSite Designer today...
Bentley’s solutions reduced the project footprint, the amount of field time spent being delayed by environmental, biological and cultural conflicts, and also improved communication amongst the stake holders, which led to a stronger more collaborative relationship.Sera Maloney, Integrated Construction Manager, Mortenson Construction
Your peers were also interested in...
Building design and energy analysis software
Deliver sustainable, high-performance buildings and metro stations in less time using BIM advancements that increase collaboration among architectural, electrical, mechanical, and structural stakeholders.
Site Development WorkSuite
Analysis and design for comprehensive civil site projects
OpenSite Development WorkSuite is a comprehensive offering with advanced software capabilities to streamline your site design, water, stormwater, and wastewater modeling projects.
Wastewater and stormwater management software
Sewer management software, SewerGEMS provides advanced engineering tools to plan, design, maintain, and operate sanitary and combined sewer systems.
You know how to create a Driveway. This tutorial will help you to learn how to place it properly and connect it continuously .
This is an introduction to OpenSite Designer and its interface. OSD provides complete design capabilities for rapid site modeling and more.