- Deliver high quality designs with minimized capital investments
- Automatically determine cost-effective pipe sizes and invert elevations
- Streamlined model building and management with data imports
- Design stormwater systems that will minimize capital investments
Learn more about what StormCAD can do for you...
What is StormCAD?
StormCAD is a comprehensive modeling software for the design and analysis of storm sewer systems with unlimited inlets. With StormCAD, you can calculate catchment runoffs, inlet capacities, and gutters and pipe network flows.
Out of the box, you can employ this product as a stand-alone application or work directly from within MicroStation, while an additional integration option lets you model directly in AutoCAD. Regardless of the platform used, StormCAD maintains a single set of modeling files for true interoperability across platforms. The stand-alone interface offers easy-to-use model layout tools, multiple background support including Bing aerial imagery, conversion utilities from CAD, GIS, and databases.
The ability to run from within MicroStation, which is included at no additional cost with all StormCAD versions, provides a geospatial and engineering design environment with unrivaled visualization and publishing tools. You can add the ability to run StormCAD from within AutoCAD to build, lay out, and plot models with engineering precision within an environment where they are already comfortable.
Inlet and network hydraulics
StormCAD determines intercepted flow at network inlets, and routes bypass flow to selected bypass targets. Inlets can be computed using the U.S. Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) HEC-22 methodology and you can choose from grate, curb, slot, ditch, and combination inlet types. You can use a variety of methods to compute head loss, including HEC-22 Energy and AASHTO.
StormCAD solves for subcritical, critical, and supercritical conditions with its robust gradually varied, standard-step algorithm. StormCAD calculates friction losses using Manning, Kutter, Darcy-Weisbach, and Hazen-Williams, and you can choose circular, box, arch, or elliptical pipe section shapes or irregular, trapezoidal, or triangular channel sections.
Hydrology and loads allocation
StormCAD uses the Rational Method to calculate peak flows in the storm sewer design, or accepts direct input of known flows for inlet inflows. StormCAD allows you to specify Intensity-Duration-Frequency data using equations or tables. You can then plot the IDF curves, and reuse the data for other projects in that region. You can also work with an unlimited number of sub-watershed areas and C coefficients for each inlet watershed. StormCAD allows the input of external contributing areas, additional flows, and carryover flows to model non-local runoff contributing to the discharge at any inlet. StormCAD provides several methods for computing travel time, including full pipe velocity, normal velocity, average end velocity, and weighted average velocity.
The constraint-based design features in StormCAD allow you to automatically design gravity piping and structures. The design is flexible enough to allow you to specify the elements to be designed, from a single pipe size to the entire system, by simply entering the appropriate design conditions: minimum/maximum velocities; pipe elevation offsets (including whether or not to allow drop structures), maximum spread and depth for inlets in sag; and minimum efficiency for inlets on grade. StormCAD will automatically determine cost-effective pipe sizes and invert elevations while minimizing pipe cover to avoid unnecessary pipe trench excavation.
Comprehensive scenario management
With StormCAD scenario management center, you can evaluate, visualize, and compare an unlimited number of what-if scenarios within a single file. You can easily make decisions by comparing design approaches with varying velocity, slope and cover restrictions, evaluating system capacity for multiple storm events, or analyzing outlet flow using different estimations for the catchment Rational Coefficients.
Interface and Graphical Editing
- Stand-alone Windows interface
- Ability to run within AutoCAD (AutoCAD license required)
- Ability to run within MicroStation (MicroStation license required)
- OpenRoads Designer drainage file import/export
- Unlimited undo/redo of layout and editing
- Element morphing, splitting, and reconnection
- Nodes in close proximity merging tool
- Automatic element labeling
- Scaled schematic and hybrid environments
- Scaled catchment and gutter elements
- Element prototypes
- Aerial view and dynamic zooming
- Named views library
- Multiple background-layer support
- Image, CAD, and GIS background support
- Element Prototypes (one-click setup)
- Ability to add online Bing Maps layer as background
Interoperability and Model Building
- Single set of model files for four compatible interfaces
- Import of MX Drainage files
- GIS-ID property (to maintain associations between records in source file and elements in model)
- LandXML data import and export
- Oracle spatial support
- Polyline-to-pipe connections from DXF and DWG files
- Spreadsheet, database, Shapefile, and ODBC connections
- Automated Catchment De-Lineation
- Import/Export MicroDrainage files
- Taps and Lateral Modeling
- Unlimited scenarios and alternatives
- Comprehensive scenario management
- Active topology (to activate or deactivate network elements)
- Scenario comparison
- Tabular reports with global editing
- Tabular report sorting and persistent filtering
- Customizable engineering libraries
- Dynamic (query based) and static selection sets
- Element selection by polygon and inversion
- Table opening on selection
- Global engineering units management
- Ability to track changes, date, elements and more in model
- Drawing review tools for connectivity consistency
- Automatic topology review
- Drawing navigator
- Orphaned node and dead-end pipe queries
- Hyperlink for network elements
- Custom data fields (with user-assigned or formula based values)
- Surface water flow direction displayed across any terrain
- ProjectWise and ProjectWise Geospatial Management support
- Steady-state simulations
- Flow profile methods: capacity and backwater analysis
- Headloss methods: AASHTO, HEC-22 (2nd and 3rd editions), standard, absolute, generic, and headloss-flow curve
- Diversion simulation
- Automatic constraint-based design
- Friction loss methods: Manning, Kutter, Darcy-Weisbach, and Hazen-Williams
- Curb, grate, ditch, slot, generic, combination, and user-defined capture curve inlet types
- Open channel and closed conduit hydraulics
- Support for V-shaped and parabolic gutters
- Support for pressure elements (including pumps)
- Pond outlet structure calculations
- Culvert inlet control calculations
- Support for culvert headwalls and endwalls
Hydrology and Load Allocation
- Rational Method
- Rainfall data input: user-defined Intensity-Duration-Frequency (IDF) table, Hydro-35, IDF table equation, IDF curve equation, IDF polynomial log equation
- Time of concentration methods: User-defined, Carter, Eagleson, Espey/Winslow, Federal Aviation Agency, Kerby/Hathaway, Kirpich (PA and TN), Length and Velocity, SCS Lag, TR-55 Sheet Flow, TR-55 Shallow Concentrated Flow, TR-55 Channel Flow, Kinematic Wave, Friend, Bransby-Williams
- External load assignment
- Thematic mapping
- Dynamic, multi-parameter, and multi-scenario graphing
- Advanced profiling
- Advanced tabular reporting with FlexTables®
- Property-based color coding, symbology, and annotation
- Contouring with Shapefile and DXF export
- Publishing of i-models in 2D or 3D, including to Bentley Map Mobile
- Customizable reprots
- Gutter Cross Section Viewer
Get more information about StormCAD today...
TUSPL used StormCAD, WaterGEMS, and PondPack to design a fresh and recyclable water supply distribution network, and Bentley Substation was used for the design of the power supply.Tandon Urban Solutions Pvt. Ltd., TUSPL
Your peers were also interested in...
Detention pond analysis and design software
PondPack is a versatile detention pond analysis and design software to model any project from basic site designs to complex drainage studies with unlimited ponds.
Stormwater modeling and analysis software
CivilStorm is a fully dynamic, multi-platform, hydraulic modeling solution developed for the analysis of complex stormwater systems.
Wastewater and stormwater management software
Sewer management software, SewerGEMS provides advanced engineering tools to plan, design, maintain, and operate sanitary and combined sewer systems.