- Design new culverts and analyze existing culvert hydraulics
- Perform computations using widely accepted methodologies to solve for hydraulic variables
- Analyze everything from single-barrel crossings to complex embankment cross-drain systems
Learn more about what OpenFlows CulvertMaster can do for you...
What is CulvertMaster?
CulvertMaster is an extremely powerful yet easy-to-use calculator product that helps you design new culverts and analyze existing culvert hydraulics. Analyze everything from single-barrel crossings to complex embankment cross-drain systems, with different shapes and sizes, special tailwater considerations, and roadway overtopping considering watershed data, culvert characteristics, and even weir geometry. When you design and analyze culverts, easily select from a library of standard culvert shapes, materials, and entrance conditions, then compute culvert headwater and tailwater elevations using calculation methodologies outlined in Hydraulic Design Series Number 5 from the U.S. Federal Highway Administration.
Data entry and manipulation are flexible and straight forward with CulvertMaster. You simply enter data in clearly labeled fields with full context-sensitive help and click to calculate. Quickly navigate using tabbed dialog “worksheets” to edit watershed data, tailwater conditions, and profile information. You can conveniently organize all your designs and analyses for the same project within a single file. When you interpret and present your modeling results, you can easily view detailed tables, reports, rating curves, and more.
CulvertMaster offers three flexible simulation types that you can use for all phases of your projects:
- Quick culvert calculator
For simple culverts with known characteristics, this simulation type allows you to plug in the data and solve for what you need. Its worksheet style dialog requires the minimum amount of descriptive input information to solve for discharge, headwater elevation, or culvert size.
- Culvert analyzer
For more complex systems with multiple barrels, different shapes and sizes, special tailwater considerations, and roadway overtopping, you can use this simulation type to
- verify the hydraulic performance of existing culverts; analyze complex situations such as main-stream culverts working in combination with relief culverts in overbank areas
- perform road overtopping analysis of existing culverts or new designs, or
- supplement existing culvert structures to correct inadequate capacities resulting from urbanizing watersheds or undersized crossdrain conditions
- Culvert designer
You can compare several proposed options, incorporate these design trials into complex hydraulic analyses, and evaluate the results. In this design mode, you would create individual culvert trials and solve for
- size of a culvert of a specified shape, material, and roughness to pass the design discharge under design elevation headwater conditions
- discharge for a specific culvert under design elevation headwater, or
- headwater elevation for a specific culvert under design discharge conditions
- Hydraulics and hydrology
CulvertMaster computations use the widely accepted US Federal Highway Administration’s Hydraulic Design of Highway Culverts (HDS-5) methodologies, allowing you to solve for whatever hydraulic variables you don’t know, such as culvert size, peak discharge, and headwater elevation.
Flow calculations handle pressure and varied flow situations such as backwater and drawdown curves. Design discharge can be calculated using either the Rational or SCS peak discharge method. Rainfall information is calculated using rainfall tables, equations, or the National Weather Services’ Hydro-35 data. CulvertMaster also plots Intensity-Duration-Frequency (IDF) curves from rainfall data. You can reuse this data for all projects in that region.
How much is Openflows CulvertMaster?
A practitioner license of Openflows CulvertMaster costs $546 USD at Virtuosity.com. Prices vary per region. To see the price in your region, select your region at the bottom of the page. While there are various types of licensing available, a common choice is the 12-month practitioner license offered through Virtuosity, Bentley's eCommerce store. When you purchase through Virtuosity you get a Virtuoso Subscription. This means you get the software and "Keys" (tokens) to redeem for customizable training, mentoring, and consulting services.
Expert services and tailored training, when and where you need it.
At Virtuosity, we understand how important it is to get the most out of every working moment. You need to limit downtime, and use each software application to its fullest potential. There is just no time to spare. That's why every software purchase through Virtuosity comes as a bundle with “Keys” or credits that can be redeemed for expert services and training, so you can get started right away. Learn more about our training options.We call this bundle the Virtuoso Subscription.
Each practitioner license comes with a number of "Keys" and you can always purchase additional "Keys" as you go.
There is a menu of expert services and training options that you can redeem your "Keys" for:
|Quick start training
Virtual classroom training is a great way to quick-start your success.
|1 key||2 hours|
|Recorded online sessions
OnDemand sessions can be very helpful and convenient. They include information on the latest software, workflows, and systems.
|1 key||2 hours|
Standard training offers a thorough understanding of general features, workflows and tools of the application.
|1 key||4 hours|
With tailored training you can set your own agenda for training and get something to suit your specific requirements.
|1 key||2 hours|
If you have a challenging or unique project, you may choose to expand your team with one of our experts.
|1 key||2 hours|
Get one-on-one mentoring from a product expert. Choose from a variety of topics including design, analysis, and modeling techniques.
|1 key||2 hours|
Interface, Editing, and Model Management
- Built-in interactive tutorials
- Worksheet list (for convenient display of projects’ content)
- Project setup wizard
- Engineering libraries (materials, section sizes, and culvert inlets)
- Rainfall data specified using a rainfall table or a rainfall equation
- Global engineering - units management
- Support for ProjectWise
- HDS-5 methodology
- Pressure or partial (free surface) flow conditions
- Gradually varied flow algorithm
- Flow profile methods: drawdown and backwater analysis
- Culvert section shapes: box, circular, arch, horizontal and vertical ellipse
- Outlet channel sections: rectangular, triangular, trapezoidal and irregular shapes
- Roadway or broad-crested weir (to check overtopping conditions)
- Watershed area calculation: calculation of total area and weighted runoff coefficient, based on an unlimited number of watershed sub-areas and corresponding runoff coefficients entered in CulvertMaster
- Peak flow method: Rational Method, SCS Graphical Peak Method, user-defined peak flow rate
- Rainfall data input: Intensity-Duration-Frequency (IDF) equations, IDF tables, Hydro-35
- Summarized and detailed reports of inputs and outputs
- Rating tables
- Performance curves (single or multiple elements)
As per minimum operating system requirement
Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003
As per minimum operating system requirements
150 MB of free storage space (with additional room for data files)
800 x 600 resolution, 256 colors
Get more information about CulvertMaster today...
Foth analyzed flood elevations for the stream realignment using FlowMaster and CulvertMaster and applied LEAP Bridge for the structural design and analysis of the bridge. The interoperability of Bentley tools resulted in a comprehensive 3D rendering of the entire project.Foth Infrastructure & Environment, Iowa, USA
Your peers were also interested in...
Wastewater and stormwater management software
Sewer management software, SewerGEMS provides advanced engineering tools to plan, design, maintain, and operate sanitary and combined sewer systems.
Flood modeling and risk management software
Accurately model and simulate extreme events using accurate and reliable flood risk analysis data to diminish impacts to human safety, decrease damages to infrastructure, and reduce loss to the economy.
Water distribution design and analysis software
Hydraulic modeling software, WaterGEMS helps you analyze, design, and optimize your water distribution systems.
In this article with the help of an example we will have a look at the Automated Design feature in Openflows SewerGEMS.