$ 2,534 – $ 3,127 12 month subscription license
- Design buildings and facilities
- Analyze building system performance
- Collaborate across multi-discipline teams
- Generate documentation and reports
Learn more about what OpenBuildings Designer can do for you...
What is OpenBuildings?
OpenBuildings is multidiscipline Building Information Modeling (BIM) software that streamlines the work among architects and electrical, mechanical, and structural engineers. With OpenBuildings, it is faster and easier for you to deliver sustainable, high-performance buildings, and metro stations.
Two versions let you choose the application that best suits your project needs:
- OpenBuildings Designer
Design, model, analyze, manage, and construct buildings of any size, form, and complexity with information-rich models.
- OpenBuildings Station Designer
Design, model, and analyze multidiscipline rail stations, as well as perform pedestrian simulation.
OpenBuildings software is an immersive 3D modeling environment that helps you to design in context by leveraging reality models. Using a federated data approach to modeling and drawing management, these applications allow you and your team members to work on any size models simultaneously, regardless of stakeholder location.
OpenBuildings Designer offers all the tools needed to:
- Increase collaboration among disciplines
Work together more efficiently in a project environment with a shared library of design components, tools, workflows, and production standards. Integrate information from multiple formats and share models and drawings across geographically dispersed teams without sacrificing discipline or responsibility.
- Address real-life design scenarios
Model any type of building or infrastructure—including commercial, industrial, transportation, education, and government buildings, as well as structures such as bridges and tunnels. Built-in clash detection makes coordinating building systems more efficient.
- Efficiently explore design alternatives
Using computational design, evaluate more approaches and options for designs faster, while improving overall quality. Embedding design intent with expressions and constraint-driven geometry minimizes repetitive modeling work, while integrated energy services provide the ability to predict the performance impact of changes.
- Keep stakeholders in the loop with renderings and movies
Built-in visualization tools make it easier to evaluate materials and communicate designs in ways that bring ideas to life.
OpenBuildings Station Designer provides all the benefits of OpenBuildings Designer listed above but with a focus on designing and simulating transit stations—including high-speed, commuter, metro, and light rail—as well as pedestrian travel paths. The work set of functional space definitions and catalog of design components are specifically geared to railway station design.
GenerativeComponents templates for complex geometry, for example, are ideal for designing tunnels and platforms. Create simulation scenarios by defining spaces, activities, passenger characteristics, and operational information such as train timetables to simulate and analyze foot traffic.
- Design in 3D to explore ideas with free-form modeling
- Design in context with referenced reality models and point clouds
- Perform clash detection
- Produce lifelike renderings, visualizations and movies
- Apply company and project standards
- Exchange data in common formats (i.e. IFC, COBie, RealDWG, Revit Family RFA, and SketchUp SKP)
- Incorporate project documents, media, web links, and more with hypermodeling
- Easily manage data with bidirectional editing in Microsoft Excel
- Share project information with iModels
- Enforce production standards within a ProjectWise managed environment
- Automate coordinated drawings by controlling drafting styles and annotations
- Speed up design by using a catalog of walls, doors, windows, and furniture
- Manage floor definitions for reference planes and floor groups
- Define custom grid systems
- Manage spaces to ensure compliance with owner requirements
- Model custom design stairs and handrails
- Interactively design configurations of curtain walls
- Model detailed steel structures, trusses, bar joists, handrail, and ladder assemblies with ProSteel elements
- Model concrete and timber structures
- Reference a comprehensive library of international steel and concrete shapes
- Produce quantity reports and volume and weight analyses
- Share structural models and analysis using Bentley’s Integrated Structural Modeling (ISM) technology
- Exchange data with detailing applications using industry standards (i.e. CIS/2, and SDNF)
- Route multiple pipes simultaneously with different diameter, spacing, end type, insulation, and with manufacturer catalog
- Parametrically model HVAC, piping, and plumbing systems
- Define components, paths, and angles to be modeled automatically when completing connections in HVAC and piping systems
- Dynamically route pipe systems with slope applied or apply as a post process
- Create and configure air handling units using standard modules
- Size ductwork based on air flow, velocity, and friction rate
- Export designs to Trimble’s FabShop for fabrication
- Streamline lighting design using smart symbol arrangement tools that are aligned with ceiling grid and wall-mounted components
- Design electrical circuits and associate with lighting, power, or fire protection panels
- Automatically label components with user-definable labeling formats for switch designation, circuit numbers, and device IDs
- Model cable trays, baskets, conduits, and wireways
- Evaluate lighting level with a bidirectional interface with Relux lighting analysis
- Produce drawings and block diagrams, lighting, cable, and panel schedules based on user-definable templates
- Define objects, assembly relationships, and dimensional constraints to capture design intent to explore a broad range of what-if scenarios
- Use visual programming techniques to create design solutions, manage dependencies, and orchestrate behaviors between design objects
- Use mathematical statements to control geometry and define dependencies between design objects
- Create reusable geometric assemblies extending the range of geometry with embedded intelligent behaviors
- Define input controls (i.e. sliders and law curves) to dynamically manipulate design components and propagate change within the design
- Play the design script forward and in reverse incrementally to visualize the design intent and behaviors of design relationships
- Perform whole building energy analysis with analytical space models and conceptual mass models using industry-standard EnergyPlus
- Calculate design and satisfy building regulation requirements using industry-standard building load calculation methods (i.e. ASHRAE, PartL, and CIBSE)
- Reference a catalog of predefined standard HVAC system templates
- Calculate daylight factors using industry-standard Radiance engine
- Model surrounding buildings to simulate the effect of their shade on the design
- Create reports and charts for all aspects of building simulation including heating and cooling loads, LEED compliance, annual energy use, equipment sizing requirements, and CO2 emissions
Intel® or AMD® processor 1.0 GHz or greater
16 GB minimum, 32 GB recommended
24 GB free disk space
512 MB of video RAM or higher is recommended
1024 x 768 or higher
Get more information about OpenBuildings Designer today...
Using a combination featuring ContextCapture and OpenBuildings Designer, we delivered this design, fabrication, and install on time and under budget.Brendan Jarvis, Systems and Processes Manager, CADDS Group
Your peers were also interested in...
Pedestrian simulation software
Explore how pedestrians and crowds interact with various infrastructure assets through various simulations across a wide range of scenarios. LEGION Simulator helps enhance, predict, and improve pedestrian flow and safety by testing various scenarios and evacuation strategies.
Structural analysis and design software
Perform comprehensive analysis and design for any size or type of structure, with any material, quickly and with confidence.
Computer-aided design and visualization software
A 2D/3D CAD and visualization software, MicroStation helps you draft, model, and visualize infrastructure projects of any type, scale, and complexity.
Let us explore the welcome screen of OpenBuildings Designer through a quick video. This is one in a series of videos about OBD
Let us explore the Workspaces and Worksets of OpenBuildings Designer CONNECT Edition. This is second in a series of videos.