- Process, visualize, view and annotate point clouds
- Edit point clouds
- Detect clashes from point clouds
- Produce animations, videos, and fly-throughs
Learn more about what Pointools can do for you...
What is Bentley Pointools?
Pointools allows you to view, animate, and edit point clouds in stand-alone workflows. It enables you to intuitively cleanup and prepare point clouds to make them easier to reuse in downstream applications. You can streamline scan-to-model workflows by importing point clouds from all major scanner manufacturers.
- Fast point cloud engine
Pointools is powered by Pointools Vortex, the industry’s leading point cloud engine, which enables the support of very large point clouds. You can work on large datasets with billions of points, manage scene parameters interactively, and rapidly load and unload native format point-cloud POD models. The software uses real-time, high-performance streaming to provide incredible display performance while visually maximizing point-cloud density, clarity, and detail.
- Improved visualization
Point clouds can be visualized with a range of fully blendable shading options enabling easier visual interpretation on the fly and production of enhanced imagery or movie content. The 3D brush enables the coloring of the point cloud, which is ideal for color correction, detailed highlighting, or visual mock-up, while layer colors can be used for per-layer colorization with controllable opacity. With Pointools, you can confidently identify clashes between objects, dynamically tests for clashes along a pre-defined movement path or as objects are repositioned. You can also quickly and easily identifies how an asset has changed over time through point-cloud differencing.
- Support for multiple object types
Pointools provides the ability to use Pointools POD files with all MicroStation-based applications, eliminating the need for time-consuming data conversion. Easily import and view three types of objects:
- Point clouds, which can be imported from a large range of scanners.
- Textured 3D models, which can be imported from a number of common model formats.
- 2D CAD drawings, which can be imported from DXF, DWG, and SHP file formats.
- Layer-based editing and segmentation
With Pointools, you get unique point layer technology for unrivaled point-cloud editing speed. Move points between one of 128 layers to isolate particular areas for detailed editing, making it easier for users to manipulate, clean up, or segment the point-cloud model to enable enhanced understanding and easier reuse. Point layers can also be used to visualize and edit point-cloud classification and also support scan-by-scan editing workflows. All editing operations are saved in an editing stack, which can be manipulated, saved, reloaded, and applied to a different dataset, compressing editing workflows.
Pointools offers you two measurement tools: point information (or single point) and point-to-point. Notes can also be attached to objects within the workspace, providing a convenient way to annotate a scene. Both coded measurements and notes can be exported as a text or HTML file.
- High-quality deliverables
You can generate professional-quality images, animations, and movies. Users can produce high-resolution orthographic and perspective images, by rendering snapshots of any size, limited only by their computers’graphics hardware and available memory. You can also have the flexibility to set the image size and scale, while benefiting from the choice to output rulers, scale, and positioning for accurate reuse.
Pointools provides you with an intuitive timeline-based fly-through and object animation system for you to quickly and easily produce movies. Anti-aliased rendering and motion blur enable users to generate high-quality animations with little or no aliasing and moiré. A graph editor, full object transformation control, and scripting provide advanced animation capabilities.
How much does Bentley Pointools cost?
A practitioner license of Bentley Pointools costs $2883 USD at Virtuosity.com. Prices vary per region. To see the price in your region, select your region at the bottom of the page. While there are various types of licensing available, a common choice is the 12-month practitioner license offered through Virtuosity, Bentley's eCommerce store. When you purchase through Virtuosity you get a Virtuoso Subscription. This means you get the software and "Keys" (tokens) to redeem for customizable training, mentoring, and consulting services.
Expert services and tailored training, when and where you need it.
At Virtuosity, we understand how important it is to get the most out of every working moment. You need to limit downtime, and use each software application to its fullest potential. There is just no time to spare. That's why every software purchase through Virtuosity comes as a bundle with “Keys” or credits that can be redeemed for expert services and training, so you can get started right away. Learn more about our training options.We call this bundle the Virtuoso Subscription.
Each practitioner license comes with a number of "Keys" and you can always purchase additional "Keys" as you go.
There is a menu of expert services and training options that you can redeem your "Keys" for:
|Quick start training
Virtual classroom training is a great way to quick-start your success.
|1 key||2 hours|
|Recorded online sessions
OnDemand sessions can be very helpful and convenient. They include information on the latest software, workflows, and systems.
|1 key||2 hours|
Standard training offers a thorough understanding of general features, workflows and tools of the application.
|1 key||4 hours|
With tailored training you can set your own agenda for training and get something to suit your specific requirements.
|1 key||2 hours|
If you have a challenging or unique project, you may choose to expand your team with one of our experts.
|1 key||2 hours|
Get one-on-one mentoring from a product expert. Choose from a variety of topics including design, analysis, and modeling techniques.
|1 key||2 hours|
- Point-cloud import from: ASCII, Pointools v1.0-1.1 POD,
- Terrascan BIN, LAS, LAZ, e57, Leica PTX and PTS, Faro FLS and FLW,
- Riegl 3DD, RPX, RDB and RSP, Optech IXF, Topcon CL3, and
- DeltaSphere 3000 RTPI
- 3D model import from: 3DStudio 3DS, Lightwave LWO,
- Wavefront OBJ
- Drawing import from: AutoCAD DXF and DWG, Esri shapefile
Project File Management
- Stores current project settings, layers, saved views, tool states,and animation setup
Interface and Navigation
- Dockable menus
- Object Tree manager
- Navigation modes: zoom, pan, free, examine, explore, and light direction
- 3D Connexion mouse support
- Walk mode navigation using arrow keys
- Display settings: frame rate, overall and object bounding box, axis, grid, refresh methods, and camera transition
- Environment settings: backdrop types and lighting
- Stereo anaglyph, interlaced or generic quad-buffered display
- Saved Views manager
- Cloud and layer shading
- RGB (color) and intensity shading: intensity contrast and brightness control, and point lighting with material quality control
- Plane shading: distance, offset, axis, fit to data, and edge
- Dynamic LOD control
- Clipbox (to isolate area of interest)
3D Model Visualization
- Shaders: cel-shaded, outline (pen-line like effect), and lighting
- 3D model display: render as points if needed, lighting, texturing, cel-shade, outline, double-sided, cull back face, and Z-order transparency
- Anti-aliased display
- Per layer visibility control
- Attachment of documents, images, movies, and other multimedia content to geographic locations
- Notes management in folders
- Display styles: color, box style, font type, style, and size
- Display options: depth cue, show full note, show coordinates, collapse notes with distance, and position on viewport edge
- Hyperlink support: Internet URL, file, saved views, animation frame, play animation, and run script Point-cloud Differencing and Clash Detection
- Static and dynamic clash detection between objects
- Detailed in-viewport clash region display
- Point-cloud differencing
- 2D point selection: rectangle, polygon fence, and plane
- 3D point selection: cube brush, sphere brush, and point cloud
- from point
- Selection operations: select all, deselect all, and invert
- Selection constraints: by color, intensity, and grayscale
- Point visibility operations: hide selected, unhide all, and invert visibility
- Support for up to 128 point layers
- Layer operations: add, remove, hide, show, switch layer mode (single or multi-layer), apply random layer colors, reset, setup LAS layer, point cloud per layer, layers from classification, layers from selected classification, and move points to layer
- Layer manager
- RGB painting: direct application via brush tools and layer-wide operations via layer filter
- RGB color selector: current color, extract color from viewport, swatch (colors storing), color selector (based on hue, saturation, luminance), color channel slider, transparency, and nine blending modes
- Color application using sphere or cuboid brush
- Active layer filters: erase paint operations, fill points, reset RGB editing, brightness/contrast, hue/ saturation, and white balance
- Stack-based editing (stores point-related operations and previous editing operations can be applied to other data)
- Two in-viewport rotating and movement modes: Axis Arrow and Rotate rings
- Local or world transform mode (keep object’s own coordinate system or apply model coordinate system)
- Pick tool (click any object from viewport to select it)
- Large object reference
- Point measure (single point position)
- Distance measure (point-to-point distance)
- Measure log options: save to delimited ASCII file, clear, display settings (color, coordinate and distance units, and precision), and tag (code applied to next measurement)
- Size options: image dimension and scale, output file size, and calculate print size
- Selection of area of interest
- Info options (for orthographic projection): minor and major ruler markings, or as grid, scale text, datum line, title, camera position and direction, and add logo or image
- Output options: anti-aliasing level and file format (TIFF, JPG, EPIX)
- Viewing via anaglyph glasses, auto-stereoscopic screens, or any quad-buffer-based stereo device
- Display options: depth control and amount (of depth effect), and swap left/right cameras
Animations and Movies
- Animation wizard (fly-through, orbit)
- Timeline user interface, with animation controller/parameters and keying mode
- Panning and zooming of the timeline
- Undo/redo timeline operations
- Animation options: scale animation and camera path import/export
- Animation of 3D objects, camera, clip box, light, and settings
- Object and camera transformation parenting
- Object and camera motion scripting
- Graph editor: fine-tuning of keyframe position, key value editing, and interpolation methods (stepped, linear, Catmull-Rom spline, and TCB spline)
- Control of timeline settings
- Image sequence, AVI, or MOV movie output
- Stereo left and right output
- Tiled output
Intel Pentium-based or AMD Athlon-based processor 2.0 GHz or greater
Windows 10 (64 bit)
Windows 8.1 (64 bit)
Windows 8 (64 bit)
Windows 7 (64 bit)
4 GB recommended
NVidia or ATI (AMD) graphics card
1.5 GB free disk space for installation
3 button mouse
1080x768 display resolution, 1920x1080 display resolution with true color recommended
Get more information about Pointools today...
The swift creation of the model [using Bentley applications] has proven that during a global pandemic and lockdown, it is still possible to provide services that go above and beyond the expectations of our clients and stakeholders.John Nolan, Program Manager, BIM, Network Rail Wales and Western Region
Your peers were also interested in...
Site design software
OpenSite Designer offers complete detailed design capabilities for rapid site modeling and analysis to deliver land development projects and support BIM workflows.
Reality Modeling WorkSuite
Create, share, and consume high quality 3D models
Generate, edit, and share engineering-ready 3D meshes from images and/or point clouds. The Reality Modeling WorkSuite offerings add reliable, up-to-date reality data to all your projects with Bentley's reality modeling software ContextCapture, Orbit 3DM Feature Extraction, and Pointools.
Computer-aided design and visualization software
A 2D/3D CAD and visualization software, MicroStation helps you draft, model, and visualize infrastructure projects of any type, scale, and complexity.