- Work with all data types, regardless of size, in a single product
- Extract ground and breaklines from reality meshes and point clouds
- Use advanced modeling, clipping, and sectioning tools to create 3D models
- Produce animations and renderings for presentations
Learn more about what Descartes can do for you...
What is Bentley Descartes?
Descartes is a very powerful application for integrating and processing reality modeling data such as reality meshes, point clouds, scalable terrain models, and raster data for use in your information modeling workflows and infrastructure projects.
- Work with reality meshes
Using ContextCapture, Bentley's reality modeling software, you can automatically create phototextured reality meshes which are rich, 3D scalable models of the real world. These meshes are generated from imagery ranging from simple cell phone photos to high-end photogrammetric cameras or laser scans. Descartes enables the fast and easy manipulation of meshes of any scale as well as the generation of cross sections, extraction of ground and breaklines, and production of orthophotos, 3D PDFs, and iModels.
In addition, you can integrate your meshes with GIS and engineering data to enable the intuitive search, navigation, visualization, and animation of that information within the visual context of the mesh.
- Work with raster images
Raster images in the form of aerial imagery, binary imagery, and raster digital elevation models (DEM) are fully supported in Descartes. It is a comprehensive image management environment with conversion (raster to vector and vector to raster), cleanup, and editing tools that extend the MicroStation raster management tools.
- Work with point clouds
Point clouds can be enriched, segmented, and classified and combined with engineering models. You can then leverage Descartes’ capabilities for advanced 3D modeling, cross sectioning, breaklines, and ground extraction to quickly and efficiently model as-built conditions and support the design process. You can better evaluate point clouds and produce more accurate engineering models as a result. Animations and renderings for presentation can also be produced.
- Produce and work with large, scalable terrain models
You can produce very large scalable terrain models from many sources including point clouds, breaklines, raster digital elevation models, and existing triangulated irregular networks. Scalable terrain models are synchronized with the original data sources to remain up to date. This allows you to have a global, current, and integrated representation of all your data to perform analyses using a variety of display modes and to produce animations and visualizations.
- Ensure interoperability
With support for a wide range of reality modeling and engineering data types, you can take full advantage of your investment in existing data and get a more complete integrated view of your information. You can also streamline the production of deliverables in most standard industry formats for use in other applications.
How much does Bentley Descartes cost?
A practitioner license of Bentley Descartes costs $4,130 USD at Virtuosity.com. Prices vary per region. To see the price in your region, select your region at the bottom of the page. While there are various types of licensing available, a common choice is the 12-month practitioner license offered through Virtuosity, Bentley's eCommerce store. When you purchase through Virtuosity you get a Virtuoso Subscription. This means you get the software and "Keys" (tokens) to redeem for customizable training, mentoring, and consulting services.
Expert services and tailored training, when and where you need it.
At Virtuosity, we understand how important it is to get the most out of every working moment. You need to limit downtime, and use each software application to its fullest potential. There is just no time to spare. That's why every software purchase through Virtuosity comes as a bundle with “Keys” or credits that can be redeemed for expert services and training, so you can get started right away. Learn more about our training options.We call this bundle the Virtuoso Subscription.
Each practitioner license comes with a number of "Keys" and you can always purchase additional "Keys" as you go.
There is a menu of expert services and training options that you can redeem your "Keys" for:
|Quick start training
Virtual classroom training is a great way to quick-start your success.
|1 key||2 hours|
|Recorded online sessions
OnDemand sessions can be very helpful and convenient. They include information on the latest software, workflows, and systems.
|1 key||2 hours|
Standard training offers a thorough understanding of general features, workflows and tools of the application.
|1 key||4 hours|
With tailored training you can set your own agenda for training and get something to suit your specific requirements.
|1 key||2 hours|
If you have a challenging or unique project, you may choose to expand your team with one of our experts.
|1 key||2 hours|
Get one-on-one mentoring from a product expert. Choose from a variety of topics including design, analysis, and modeling techniques.
|1 key||2 hours|
Reality Mesh Support
- Display of very large, phototextured reality meshes produced using ContextCapture
- Editing of meshes (remove facets, fill holes)
- Automatic ground extraction
- Breakline extraction
- Efficient 3D modeling by using sections and templates
- Mesh classification to enrich mesh with data from many sources
- Orthoimage extraction on any axis
- Generation and manipulation of cross sections
- Production of 3D PDFs and iModels
- Tools’ support of streamed reality meshes
Raster Image Processing
- Fast display and management of large raster images
- Vector to raster conversion
- Raster to vector conversion
- Retouch color raster images
- Cleanup binary raster images
- Register raster images
- Manage display of raster mosaics
- Generation of orthophotos
- Thematic display of Digital Elevation Models
- Fast display and visualization of billions of points
- Drape and snap elements
- Classification editing
- Smart Snap
- Batch tile export
- Pointools, POD, LAS, and XYZ file export
- Extraction of planar and cylindrical elements
- Linear feature extraction
- Re-color points for flexible presentation
- Class management for any type of presentation style
- Definition of custom classes
- Point-cloud colorization from orthophotos
- Clip and section manager
- Support of geographic coordinate systems
Scalable Terrain Modeling
- Creation of scalable terrain models (STMs)
- High-performance display of very large digital terrain models (DTMs)
- Display modes for smooth shading, smooth shading with shadows, aspect angle, elevation, slope, contours
- High-resolution image draping on STM
- STM update and synchronization with DGN files, civil DTMs, point-cloud data, and XYZ files
- Calculate view shed from point or path
Raster Data Interoperability
- ECW (unlimited), PDF, IMG, JPEG 2000, BIL, DOQ, FLI, SPOT CAP, and Digital Image Map
- TIFF (1-to 32-bit), GEOTIFF, iTIFF, COT, CIT, RLE, CALS, PCX, IMG, BUM, TG4, INT, RGB, TGA, JPEG, RLC, RS, HMR, BMP, and IKONOS 3 (Red), and 4 (NIR) bands from GeoEye
- Compression schemes: Deflate, Pack-Bits, CCITT3, CCITT4
- Support for lossless compression formats: ECW, MrSID, and JPEG 2000
- Image draping on DTM
- MicroStation-based rendering
- Real-life textures
- Lighting effects
- Elevation and perspectives
- Creation of fly-throughs and animations
- Creation of 3D PDFs
- Support for engineering data, point cloud, reality meshes
- Seamless integration with LumenRT for real-time, immersive presentations
- Support for traffic animation
- Solar and shading analysis
- Thematic visualization of elements based on height, slope, and aspect angle
Intel Pentium-based or AMD Athlon-based processor 2.0 GHz or greater
- Windows 10 (64 bit) - Home, Pro, Enterprise, and Education
- Windows 8 (64 bit) - Standard, Pro, and Enterprise
- Windows 8.1 (64 bit) - Standard, Pro, and Enterprise
- Windows 7 SP1 (64 bit) - Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate
Internet connectivity is required to install the product and use some of its features.
4 GB minimum, 16 GB recommended, (more memory typically results in better performance)
10 GB minimum free disk space
Get more information about Descartes today...
The swift creation of the model [using Bentley applications] has proven that during a global pandemic and lockdown, it is still possible to provide services that go above and beyond the expectations of our clients and stakeholders.John Nolan, Program Manager, BIM, Network Rail Wales and Western Region
Your peers were also interested in...
Computer-aided design and visualization software
A 2D/3D CAD and visualization software, MicroStation helps you draft, model, and visualize infrastructure projects of any type, scale, and complexity.
Site design software
OpenSite Designer offers complete detailed design capabilities for rapid site modeling and analysis to deliver land development projects and support BIM workflows.
Reality Modeling WorkSuite
Create, share, and consume high quality 3D models
Generate, edit, and share engineering-ready 3D meshes from images and/or point clouds. The Reality Modeling WorkSuite offerings add reliable, up-to-date reality data to all your projects with Bentley's reality modeling software ContextCapture, Orbit 3DM Feature Extraction, and Pointools.